ARMSTRONG COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA
Formed March 12, 1800 out of Westmoreland, Allegheny and Lycoming counties.
Named for Gen. John Armstrong, who had destroyed the Indian village at Kittanning, 1756.
Here, county seat was laid out, 1803, and "Daugherty Visible" typewriter invented in 1881.
(City type: County Courthouse, N end Market St., Kittanning.)
For a map directing you to Armstrong County click here.
BLANKET HILL ( US 422, 6.5 miles SE of Kittanning.)
FORT ARMSTRONG ( PA 66, 1.8 miles S of Kittanning.)
KITTANNING ( S. Water St & W end Market St Bridge, Kittanning.)
KITTANNING OR ATTIQUE' INDIAN TOWN ( Plaque: at park on E bank Allegheny River, adjacent to bridge N. Water & Market Sts.,
[GENERAL JOHN ARMSTRONG] ( Plaque: entrance to Armstrong County Courthouse, N end Market St., Kittanning.)
ST. PATRICK'S CHURCH ( PA 268, 6 miles NW of Cowansville.)
BRADY'S BEND WORKS ( PA 68 Bradys Bend, at Allegheny River bridge.)
Return to Pennsylvania's county list.
Signs of History ®
is a registered mark of Grover & Jayne Hibberd
Send comments and suggestions to: GroverHibberd@aol.com