Signs of History (SM)

INDIANA COUNTY

Formed March 30, 1803 from Westmoreland and Lycoming counties, and once densely forested. Its name memorializes the first inhabitants. County seat, Indiana, was laid out 1805 on land given by George Clymer, signer of the Declaration of Independence. (City type: New Courthouse Sq., 8th & Philadelphia Sts., Indiana.)

For a map directing you to Indiana County click here.
PURCHASE OF 1768 ( US 219 at Cherry Tree.)
JOHN B. McCORMICK ( US 22 W of Armagh.)
SALTSBURG ( City type: PA 286 [Washington St.], Saltsburg.)
MOORHEAD'S FORT ( SR 4032 [Philadelphia St., old US 422] ,6 mile W of Indiana.)
WILLIAM H. SYLVIS ( City type: at Keith Hall, Indiana University, Indiana.)
RURAL ELECTRIFICATION ( Airport Rd. just off PA 286 at E end Indiana.)
JOHN S. FISHER ( Junction PA 85 & 210 E of Plumville.)

Return to Pennsylvania's county list.

Signs of History SM is a service mark of Grover & Jayne Hibberd
Copyright 1999
Send comments and suggestions to: GroverHibberd@aol.com