For a map directing you to Caroline County click here.
Area: 529 square miles
Formed in 1727 from Essex, King and Queen, and King William. Named for Queen Caroline, wife of King George II.
George Rogers Clark, conqueror of the Northwest, passed his youth in this county.
Lee and Grant, E-23 Rte. 1, 2.8 miles s. of Carmel Church
Long Creek Action, E-24 Rte. 1, 2.4 miles s. of Carmel Church
Grant's Operations, E-25 Rte. 1, at Carmel Church
Dickinson's Mill, E-26 Rte. 1, 2.2 miles s. of Ladysmith
Bull Church, E-27 Rte. 1, at Ladysmith
Nancy Wright's, E-28 Rte. 1, 5.1 miles n. of Ladysmith
Doctor Flippo's. E-29 Rte. 1, 1.6 miles n. of Ladysmith
John Wilkes Booth, EP-20 Rte. 301, 9.1 miles n.e. of Bowling Green
Lederer Expedition, N-8 Rte. 17, 12.5 miles s.e. of Fredericksburg
Jackson's Headquarters, N-11 Rte. 17, 5.7 miles s.e. of New Post
Windsor, N-12 Rte. 17, 6.9 miles s.e. of New Post
Skinker's Neck, N-13 Rte. 17, 6.9 miles s.e. of New Post
Hazelwood. N-14 Rte. 17, 12.7 miles s.e. of New Post
Rappahannock Academy, N-15 Rte. 17, 10 miles s.e. of New Post
Where Booth Died, N-16 Rte. 301, at Port Royal Cross Roads
Old Port Royal, N-17 Rte. 1002, Port Royal
Edmund Pendleton's Home, ND-5 Rte. 2, 2.5 miles s. of Bowling Green
Campaign of 1781, ND-7 Rte. 2, at Bowling Green
Meadow Farm-Birthplace of Secretariat, ND-10 Rte. 301, .4 mile e. of Hanover Co. line
Return to Virginia's county list.
Signs of History SM is a service mark of Grover Hibberd & Jayne Pitts-Hibberd
Send comments or suggestions to: GroverHibberd@aol.com
Copyright 1998 Grover & Jayne Hibberd