|In 1773 McAfee Company and Hancock Taylor came here and surveyed area, an
early pioneer stopping place. By 1775 Leestown settled and named by Hancock and Willis Lee;
established by Va. Assembly, 1776. Temporarily abandoned in 1777 because of Indian attack,
it was reestablished and became well-known shipping port for tobacco, hemp, corn and whiskey
to New Orleans market.|
Va. General Assembly had tobacco inspection warehouse erected in Leestown, 1783. A hemp factory was here for many years. At one time Leestown was a commercial center and contender for the state capital. During the War of 1812 it served as supply base against Indians. In 1827 the stones for the Old State House were quarried from river bank near here.