Copyright 1998 Grover & Jayne Hibberd
|"Junius R. Ward had this mansion (75 ft. by 75 ft.) built ca. 1855.
Striking features are its coquina (coral and fossils) foundation. 40 ft.
columns, and stone window and door frames. A frequent guest ws his
niece--noted Souther belle Sallie Ward. After the Civil War devastated his
fortune, Ward sold estate in 1867. Listed on National Register of Historic
"Built as summer home, Greek Revival house in Corinthian motif has two roofs. Bottom is slate; top, once copper, had a huge copper tank for water. Deep rubbed walnut woodwork, variety of Greek trim on cornices, and an elliptical staircase are part of mansion's lavish detail. Among past owners was Col. Milton Hamilton, who offered house to legislature for state capitol."
To see a picture of Ward Hall click here.
To go to the official Ward Hall Preservation Foundation website go to www.wardhall.org.
Return to Scott County marker listing