Signs of History SM
Crossing Little Sandy River near here is the 194 foot Oldtown Covered Bridge. Built on Burr's patented design, it was
completed in 1880 at cost of $4,000. Commissioners in charge of project were J. C. Irvin, John Conley and W. A. Womack.
It has withstood floods of 1913 and 1937. Restored in 1972-73 by Green Thumb Program. Listed on National Register of Historic Places., 1976.
Covered bridges were first built in the 1790s but did not become widely popular until after 1814. They were covered to protect them from the weather. At one time there were more than 400 covered bridges in Ky. The timbered spans have played a romantic role in our history. Some were destroyed during the Civil War. The remaining ones are a nostalgic link with the past.