"Near this building stood the station of the South Side Rail Road where, on April 8th, 1865, three trains unloading supplies for the Army of Northern Virginia were captured by units of Sheridan's Union Cavalry under General George Custer. Significant for its relationship to the surrender by General Robert E. Lee at Appomattox Court House, this action also marked the last strategic use of rail by Confederate forces. Appomattox Co." Main and Church sts. in Appomattox."
Photograph with courtesy of "Big Mike Muckenthaler" (October 2003)
For photographs of the area and other related information click here.
Return to Appomattox County County marker listing